Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"Don't You Know Who I Am?" By Olaf Tyaransen (2013)







Event Resources  Everyone Is Invited to Join Us for Irish Short Story Month Year Four

Ways to Participate-do a post on your blog and let me know about it-I will keep a master list and I will publicize your post and blog.

If you are an Irish author and would like to be featured, please contact me.   There are several options open.

If you would like to do a guest post on my blog on anything related to Irish short stories, contact me.

I have several reasons for posting on "Don't You Know Who I Am" by Olaf Tyaransen.  The first is that I liked the story, found it a lot of fun, and I enjoy reading stories by new to me Irish writers, especially when they are set in Galway, a magically creative place I had the great pleasure of visiting last year, in the company of Max u.  Secondly I want to make sure all of my readers know about a superb, very much a high value anthology of set in Galway anthology of short stories edited by Lisa Frank and published by Doire Press, Galway Stories.  There are twenty stories in the collection, many of the authors are from the Galway area.   Among the authors are Mary Costello and Kevin Barry.

"Don't You Know Who I Am?" centers on a rock star trying to get over the just now passing of his band mate and best friend, dead too young  after a night of partying.  He happens to be in Galway. Everywhere he goes people recognize him, express sympathy for the death of his friend, and tell him Galway is the perfect place to recover as he will be treated just like a "regular" person there.  The only problem is every where he goes people want to take pictures of themselves with him.  He goes along, the price of fame, but acts like he is annoyed, claiming all he wants to do is hear some traditional music.  As he ventures around Galway he gets drunker and more maudlin about his friend.  He knows the death will really help album sales, living the band up to the image of fast living at the edge rock stars.  He just wishes he could be anonymous.  The really entertaining ending shows us what happens when he gets his wish.

Author Data

Olaf Tyaransen was born in Dublin in 1971, but spent his formative years in Galway. His
first book, The Consequences of Slaughtering Butterflies, was published by Salmon in 1992.
His autobiography The Story of O was an Irish bestseller in 2001. A former columnist with the Evening Herald, his journalism has been published in Rolling Stone, Mojo, Penthouse, Time Out and numerous other international publications. He was nominated for ‘Journalist of the Year’ at the Irish Magazine Awards in 2010 and 2012 for his wide-ranging work as Hot Press magazine’s ‘Writer-At-Large’. His interviewees include U2, Courtney Love, Lady Gaga, Robbie Williams, Hugh Hefner, Gerry Adams, Allen Ginsberg, Joe Strummer, President Michael D. Higgins, and countless others. Reviewing his book, Selected Recordings: 2000-2010, the Sunday Independent declared him to be “demonstrably the best rock ‘n’ roll interviewer in the world.”


"Please join us for ISSM4" - Carmilla




No comments: