Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Building the Barricade and Other Poems by Anna Swir

Building the Barricade and Other Poems   Anne Swir(2011, translated from the Polish by Piotr Florczyk with an introduction by Jericho Brown)


"“I can’t die, madam,
my sister won’t manage without me.
She’s a hunchback, lying by that door.”
Each died
from the wounds of her sister,
the death of her hunchback sister"-


In February of this year, I was privileged to read and post on the very first book of a new publishing house, Calypso Editions, a brand new wonderful translation of Leo Tolstoy's "How Much Land Does a Man Need".    


"Building the Barricade and Other Poems"   is a collection of  translations of poems written by Anna Swir  (Anna Swirszczynska-1909  to 1984-Poland) concerning her experiences during WWII in Warsaw.    She served as nurse in Resistance medical facilities.    (There is an excellent article about  life in Poland during WWII HERE.  For readers of my blog in Manila where I am located, the destruction of Warsaw was even worse that of Manila.)


These poems are powerful, not because they condemn the actions of the Germans (anyone would do that) but because they make us feel what  Swir felt.     Swir's formal education was in Slavic Medieval Studies.   


One of the saddest paradoxes one will find shown to us in literature from Homer to Elizabeth Bowen's WWII Short Stories is that living in a war makes people feel more alive.    Bowen said her senses never really were so alive as during the Blitz of London.    She worked as fire warden and patrolled the streets to be sure everyone's lights were out.   


The poems of Swir are about what she felt and experienced during the worst of WWII.   It is very telling that it took thirty years for her to be able to begin writing poems about her experiences during the war.   Perhaps she could write a poem in thirty minutes after thinking about it for thirty years.   


Localized literature is interesting mainly to those who know the locality.   Real literature transcends locality.   In The Lonely Voice:  A Study of the Short Story by Frank O'Connor says when ever he would teach a class in creative writing, he would tell the students a story W. B. Yeats had told him.    He said Yeats told him when you first get an idea for a story, set it in 10th century Byzantium, then rewrite it set in Florence in the 14th century, and if it makes sense in those contexts rewrite it as a current day story.   The Poems of Swir pass these tests of universality.


Her poem "I Carried a Bed Pan" belongs next to Walt Whitman's poems about his experiences as an orderly in the military hospitals of the American Civil War.


"I worked as an orderly at the hospital
without medicine and water.
I carried bedpans
filled with pus, blood and feces.

I loved pus, blood and feces—
they were alive like life,
and there was less and less
life around.
When the world was dying,
I was only two hands, handing
the wounded a bedpan."


I really do not know what I can say about this but I do not think I will forget it.   It might make even mighty Achilles weep.   In a way, the assault of the Nazi's on Europe was a war on the reading life, the beauty of 1000 years was destroyed in just a few weeks in Warsaw.   I have to share one more poem that powerfully resonated in my mind.


"An old man
leaves the house, carrying books.
A German soldier grabs the books
and throws them in the mud.
The old man picks up the books,
the soldier hits him in the face.
The old man falls,
the soldier kicks him and walks away.
The old man
lies in mud and blood.
Underneath, he feels
books."


Where ever in the world there is war on the reading life the goose step will soon heard.


I loved all the poems.   If the work were ten times as long as it is, I would be ten times as happy.   


There is a very good introduction to the poems by Jericho Brown, a Professor at the University of San Diego.      The poems also appear in Polish next to the English translations, just like in a Loeb classic text.    It should be a very good language learning vehicle for those wishing to achieve a poetic fluency.   


After reading the second work of Calypso Editions,  I have even more now confidence in what I said of them in my review of "How Much Land Does a Man Need".


When I read the mission statement of Calypso Publishing I was reminded somehow of Virginia and Leonard Woolf working at Hogarth Press, producing books notable not only for their content but books that are works of art themselves.  


Calypso Editions is an artist-run, cooperative press dedicated to publishing quality literary books of poetry and fiction with a global perspective. We believe that literature is essential to building an international community of readers and writers and that books can serve as a physical artifact of beauty and wonder in a world of digital saturation.





I read the poems in this work three times, some of them five times.


Building the Barricade and Other Poems is a beautiful deeply moving collection that I hope will get the very large readership it deserves.  


Mel u

7 comments:

bpatrickmiller said...

What an amazing review! Mel, we are so grateful for your support of our fledgling press. We have many more books to come, and we'll be sending them all to you!

Blessings,
Bryan

Calypso Editions Group said...

New new edition of Swir's work supplies an excellent mixture of wartime, day to day reportage, and a sublime sense of language that hovers around the body and occasionally pricks just beneath the skin. An essential book, not only for Swir fans, but for lovers of poetic language of the highest order.

Ali said...

Mel -- Thank you for this incredible review of this new translation. Like you, I fell in love with these poems; they are visceral and universal. Even if I don't know Warsaw (though I do know Manila), I am deeply moved. Talk about two cities who have been unbelievably altered by war(s).

It's funny, in the reviews I've read -- others express a similar sentiment, that we were so excited that we wanted more of the poems. I can't imagine a better compliment to Swir's legacy as a poet and to Piotr Florczyk for this new translation. Thank you for helping spread this important work.

mlwoodside said...

It's amazing, as Mel alludes to here, how Swir's terse lyrics compress so much emotion. There's an urgency in these poems that's nearly palpable. And what impresses me the most is how these poems resonate such visceral emotion without ever veering into the sentimental. Surely, much of that can be attributed to deft Florczyk's guiding hand.

Thanks for spreading the word on this one.

Anonymous said...

I am rendered speechless by the poetry of Swir. I had never heard of her before reading your post, but the nature of her poetry speaks volumes. Thank you for sharing some of her poetry and providing this review.

@parridhlantern said...

Thanks for this post, as you know I'm a big fan of poetry & promote it on my blog, so It's fantastic to see others doing it & of a poet I was unaware of. Will be checking out more thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just hopped over to your web site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would usually read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for producing some thing worth reading.